Easy Healthy Recipes: Healthy Eating in College

Flexible class schedule, massive loads of beers, meeting interesting people, and lot of special deal just for students. I miss college. But, I tell you what I don't miss, the freshman fifteen.

My first semester at school, I lost 15 pounds. Yes, I know it is odd for me losing 15 pounds. I think I lose the pounds due to new transition since being away from home 800 miles and being in new environment of a big city which I hailed from small town. Later, my body began to adapt and I began to love the college life. Weekends, I order take-out Chinese, pizza, and getting invite to mixer party where the drinks are free. Oh, the Ramen Noodles are awesome! I had lot of fun. The summer approached and I came home.

*GASP* The weight scale read out "160". What have I done? Keep in mind, I am 5' 4" with a medium body frame and weigh 140-145 at that time.

That summer, I worked out hard in the weight room, doing high intensity interval training, and watch what I eat. It was time for me to face my enemy, the weight scale. As I entered the bathroom, the tension grew. I took a leak to empty the water weight. I took all of my clothes off. I did not eat anything so my stomach is empty. I deliberately took my left foot gentle step on as my right foot followed. My body tensed up as my I hold my breath and look down slowly. My eye fixed on the window of the weight scale. It read out 150 pounds.

Rejoice! Praise the Lord! I was so elated.

Not that I did this alone but I have all support from my family who encouraged me. My mom joined me that summer as my exercise partner.

I achieve the greatest challenge that summer too. I am proud to said I have not drink soda for last four years. I have no temptations or craving. It was tough for few weeks and after that I have no desire. This does make a big difference in weight management since soda is filled with high calories and high fructose corn syrup. It kill you.

All of my learning experience was supported by two books. The first one I started was Body for lIfe by Bill Phillips. It offered sensible guide on eating and exercise. No diet fads or any kind. You do it in a healthy way and keep it off for life. Later, I purchase Eating for Life by Bill Phillips too. This book match all of Easy Healthy Recipes Criteria. Two thumbs up! There is latest book for women by Pamela Peeke and Cindy Crawford, Body for Life for Women.

Other book, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, by Tom Venuto is the best hand down. His research and his profession give you more than what you expected. It is highly credible and very good. He break down in manageable size for you to digest as you read his book in order to understand better. I enjoy his newsletter on healthy issues, supplementation, and natural way to lose weight. You can subscribe or buy the book at http://tomvenuto.com/reviews/burnthefatreview.shtml.

It was time for me going back to college. I know that I have to bring my A Game on. The first thing I need is to recognize the pattern and identify the resources.

I recognized that I missed breakfasts, not drink enough water, and not exercise often. And then I move on to the resources, make time for breakfast, buy Nalgene, and put the weight room to good use. It is cost-effective and what do I have to lose. I start on drink responsibility which made a difference. I keep up with watch what I eat. I am blessed that my university decide that the cafeteria food will be organic and local. It helped me a lot and make my eating plan easy. I have protein powder and snacks such as almonds and fruits in my room to control my appetite and keep up with several meals a day eating habit. Create a list of easy healthy recipes and prepare weekly and your life will be easy. Pack it in a sandwich bag and put it in fridge. It will be easy for you to grab when you are on to go.

After you identify the change you can make at college, it is not hard after all. You can always join the intramural teams, using gymnasium, hit the pool, stock up your room with fruits, nuts, and healthy bar. Fill up water from the water fountain. The incentive is shown by research by Mickey Trockel, Michael Barnes, and Dennis Eggett the college students who ate breakfast carry higher grade point average than those students who don't eat breakfast. How true, your body is empty after 8 hours and the metabolism has slow down. It is important that you eat breakfast to start up your metabolism. It will help you control your appetite better and increase your alertness.

All I can said study hard, drink responsible, and have much fun you can. It will make an impact on your future. College year is short and maybe the unique experience during part of your lifetime. Seize the moment much as you can.

Reading second part of Healthy Eating in College

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home